Thursday, October 9, 2008

Election Day Dinner

Before election day, we are holding a vote to decide what's for dinner. The kids are involved throughout the process, from nominating the food to filling out ballots. . We have been talking to the older kids about voting, explaining that everybody gets to have a say. We explained the age limit of 18, but for our family the voting age for this dinner would be set at the age of 2.
We explained that not just anyone can be president, there are rules and that Obama and McCain had each been nominated by a party. We made sure every nominee matched the rules. For example , a chocolate chip cookie could not run as a main dish. We then had more items in each category so we needed to narrow it down. I let each child make their case for their desired item. At first Cori wanted rolls, when it was her turn to talk she explained that rolls were healthier. Nathan then had his turn to speak, and pointed out that croissants were just as healthy as rolls and looked fancier and he thought tasted better. However, in the end, Sam insisted he liked bread sticks best because we could dip them in sauce. Suddenly Nathan and Corinne were swayed and the croissants and rolls were dropped from the ballot and bread sticks had the nomination. In the dessert category, Cori convinced Dad and Sam to switch to a cupcake nomination over cookies or cake when she pointed out that cupcakes usually have frosting and a treat on top,and when I make my cake I frost it, but do not put a candy on it.
After voices were heard and the caucus conlcuded, we now have a final ballot and will be casting our votes in 3 weeks. We have until then to have debates and campaigning for our favorite. We already explained that whatever has the most votes wins and that we don't have to agree. And then after dinner they understand we will be watching for the winner of who will be president. Sam is already looking forward to watching “the game” that night. Cori is hoping to see the first girl vice-president. We did warn them that they will probably have to go to bed before we find out the winner (for President I mean).
And the nominations are:
  • Main Dish - mac & cheese, french toast, Pizza delivery, or Crepes
  • Vegetable- Carrots, Broccoli, or Corn
  • Side Item- Bread sticks (with sauce), apple sauce, or bananas
  • Dessert-rainbow sherbet, brownies, or cupcakes with frosting and a treat on top)
  • Beverages- milkshakes, lemonade, or milk (It has been agreed that water will also be served regardless of the outcome)

You will have to stay tuned for the results.

My name is Amy and I approve this message!

5 comments:

Ms. Emma said...

mmm...all of the above sounds delicious.

I guess thats what happens when you are in college: You revert to the food that sounded good as a 5 year-old.

Nancy said...

sounds just like the lesson plans I wrote today, except for one thing... you need to plan on celebrating nov3 also!!!!

Amy said...

Don't worry Nov. 3 is on the calendar. The kids know they have an aunt and an uncle that both have that birthday.

Grandma Honey said...

WOW!!! What a great idea! I always knew my grandkids were being raised by smart parents, but this is incredible!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I love your writing, Amy! Keep up the great work. Of course, it helps that the subject-matter is the most interesting that could exist in the whole world ~ my adorable grandchildren!!!

Amy said...

I must admit that I got the idea from a magazine.