



I hurt my back on Wednesday and am having trouble lifting. So yesterday I realized I could not lift the pumpkins and carry them into the kitchen to hollow out and carve. I then had the great idea to carve them right where they sat on the front porch. It was a beautiful afternoon, and that way we kept the mess outside.
As I sat and carved pumpkins, the kids played in the leaves. Cori helped scoop quite a bit. She wanted me to take a picture of her pretending to eat the "pumpkin goo". Timmy enjoyed scooping the pumpkin and when I turned around he had a big glop and was eating it. In his defense we were scooping with spoons, and he thought it was after school snack. Although I truly hope he can tell the difference between my cooking and the inside of a pumpkin. Sam liked picking out seeds but lost interest quickly. Andrew was buckled in his car seat enjoying watching leaves fall around him and smiling at me while I worked on the pumpkins. Nathan did not want to go near the pumpkin. He declared how much he dislikes pumpkin goo and wants to never put his hand in a pumpkin. He said he would rather rake leaves.
As I sat and carved pumpkins, the kids played in the leaves. Cori helped scoop quite a bit. She wanted me to take a picture of her pretending to eat the "pumpkin goo". Timmy enjoyed scooping the pumpkin and when I turned around he had a big glop and was eating it. In his defense we were scooping with spoons, and he thought it was after school snack. Although I truly hope he can tell the difference between my cooking and the inside of a pumpkin. Sam liked picking out seeds but lost interest quickly. Andrew was buckled in his car seat enjoying watching leaves fall around him and smiling at me while I worked on the pumpkins. Nathan did not want to go near the pumpkin. He declared how much he dislikes pumpkin goo and wants to never put his hand in a pumpkin. He said he would rather rake leaves.
With beautiful weather this late in the year, brings neighbors and lots of people out walking and enjoying the ability to still walk outside without freezing. The kids excitedly talked to anyone who would stop and listen. "Guess what, we're getting ready for Halloween. I can't wait. We are going to a party. We have costumes. Do you want to know what I am going to be?" They were all jumping with excitement.
I noticed the DFL volunteers were knocking doors in our neighborhood. With pumpkin goo all over there was no way for me to rush in with all the kids and pretend like we weren't home. I was already going through my mind the politest way to send them on their way. But before I had opportunity, the kids saw them and started talking to them. "Guess what, we're getting ready for Halloween." The conversation continued with all the kids excitedly talking to this lady, even Timmy was jumping up and down shouting in an obviously excited gibberish. Then suddenly Nathan shouted in a serious tone, "Wait!" Everyone froze, even Timmy.
We could tell this was serious. He looked at the lady and pointed at her Obama t-shirt. Incredulously, he asked, "Are you voting for Obama?" He practically spat the name Obama from his lips in disgust.
"Yes", she replied, "And do you know who your house is voting for?".
"In our house we vote for John McCain," he proudly declared. Cori, quickly supported him by saying we want John McCain for president and Sarah Palin for vice-president. The DFL lady responded that she was glad that everyone votes and quickly moved onto to our neighbor's house.
But while still in earshot, as were all the neighbors, Nathan continued. "I hope that our neighbors will not vote for a man like Obama. " I explained that lots of people will be voting for Obama, and he will probably win. But that what is important is that everyone can choose who they vote for, and that if they don't vote the same then we can still be friends.
Nathan did not drop it though, "Cosmo told me that Obama wants to let people kill babies. Doctors killing babies, can you believe it?" Cori had a look of shock, she said loudly "I know my parents would never vote for someone who would do such a terrible thing. John McCain needs to be president because we need someone who would never let such a horrible thing happen in our country."
I tried to explain abortion in its simplest terms. When a baby is still inside his mom some people think that the mom should be allowed to choose if the baby will be born or if it should die. She will go to the doctor and have the doctor stop the baby from being born. I think it is wrong and no one should do this, but some people think moms should get to choose. Obama is one of those people. "So he is a baby killer!", shouted Nathan. "Does Joe Biden know about this?"
I tried to calm them down but the shock of such an atrocity was not to be quieted. Even Sam was up in arms. I did not have the heart to explain to them that abortions happen everyday. They have watched me pregnant, and felt the baby move, they have seen ultrasound pictures from very early on, each of them have heard the heartbeats. As far as they are concerned anyone who supported abortion, was labeled a "baby killer". That label was completely from there own minds. Luckily, our neighbor responded to the democrat volunteer that he too was voting for McCain. I was so proud that my kids were politically aware enough and had listened to their parents enough to know who was running. But at the same time I was devastated to see the horror on their faces when they learned of abortion. I was relieved that I had decided to vote McCain, because for a little while I was undecided. I don't think I could have handled the scolding and disappointment I would get from Nathan. Well, my guess is that is the last time our home will be visited by the DFL.
Their father could not be prouder of how the kids handled the situation.


4 comments:
Out of the mouth of babes...I love it. Way to go to keep your kids politically aware. I bet most kids in their classes couldn't name the current vice president, much less two potential ones.
HAHA! Its soooo funny! Our new phrase in our apartment is 'Obama is a baby killer!' Makes me laugh every time (Well, not abortion, just the fact it came from nathan), and cuts some of the tension with all the political debates i'm being bombarded with.
Does Joe Biden know about this? :)
I told MIL this story, and she got quite a laugh out of it. She thinks you should submit it somewhere. She was also thoroughly impressed at how much your children know about politics. I agree with her.
Well thanks! We do discuss all kinds of things with the kids. We have been more focused on teaching them the voting process then pm issues that the candidates disagee on. But Nathan is very smart when it comes to understanding history and politics. He loves to learn about those kinds of things. I only wish schools had away to test that kind of thing at this age. Everything he is tested on is spelling, math, and how quickly he reads, not what he reads. And since that is what the testing is on that is what most the teaching is on. And Cori retains any information she hears.
Post a Comment