Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Dad

Growing up in my house there were always random quotes taped places. On the door to the stairs when you came up from the basement was a large poster with the quote, "We teach them correct principles, and let them govern themselves". I suppose that is the best way to sum up my parents expectations of their teenagers. My dad had many "lectures" as we called them, we even had them numbered at one point. Although the actual number of each lecture is no longer strong in my memory, many of the repeated lectures have been rephrased slightly and are being used on a whole new generation.

As a teenager my dad taped different scriptures or quotes on the bathroom mirrors as well. When I go into my bathroom there are no quotes taped to the mirror, but when I am getting ready the scripture that says "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated. " still runs through my mind. But don't think he was doing this just for the kids. My dad had and still has 3x5 cards everywhere with things he is trying to memorize or focus on. Sometimes they are in Japanese other times English, but if you look carefully next time you see him odds are there are some in the front pocket of his button up shirt. The love of quotes and 3x5 cards has been passed to most, if not all of his children. I have a file on my kitchen counter filled with cards. And I love putting quotes to memory. My most recent quote that I have purposely imbedded in my memory is, "The will to win is nothing without the will to prepare". There has been one next to the computer desk at our house for quite awhile. It is a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley, the prophet of our church who passed away at the beginning of this year. It says, "You are doing the best you can, and the best result in good to yourself and others. Do not nag yourself with a sense of failure. Get on your knees and ask for the blessings of the Lord: then stand on your feet and do what you are asked to do."
I love that one. As much as I love quotes and 3x5 cards, there is one lesson that my dad gave me that is probably above the rest. He actually might regret teaching it some days because his children have taken it to heart daily as we call our mom.

It wasn't a long quote or scripture. In fact it was short enough that we had it memorized at a very young age. I think it was basically our family motto. It goes like this, "Call Home" and later I remember sitting in a family meeting and having our parents add a third word, so it became "Call Home Often". With six kids to keep track of (sometimes more depending on extra girls living with us), it was our responsibility to check in with our parents. We did this not only if we found ourselves in a difficult situation, not only if there was a change of plans, not only when we were upset, or when we had really good news. We were to call home often to let them know what was happening even if nothing was really happening. And so we did, and still do. Sometimes my mom's day consists of being on the phone while each of her kids call her through out the day, just to "Call home often".

One time when visiting our cousins in Denver, Tiffany, a girl that lived with us, my cousins and my sisters all went to the mall. I was fifteen at the time, which would have made Tiffany seventeen. We some how got separated (that is a polite way of saying ditched) by the others in our group. I think Jessica was with us but I could be wrong. The mall was beginning to close and we noticed a creepy guy was following us. We walked faster, so did he. We didn't know what to do so we were quickly headed for the payphones. I realized as we were walking that I could not remember my grandparents or cousins phone number. It started with 303, but in the city of Denver that is not enough to help you narrow it down since that is the area code. We looked for mall security or even another adult, but we saw no one. As we turned the corner suddenly there was my dad standing there. I was so relieved, I hugged him and quickly told him someone was following us. But as quickly as my dad had appeared, the creepy guy disappeared. I asked him how he knew where to find us, it was a big mall and I had not been able to call. His reply was that he was surprised I even had to ask how he knew.
I do know how he knew. And I know even more now as I have had experiences of my own as a parent. And just this week I was reminded again, that if we do our part to keep the lines of communication open and call home often, then when we can't find the number or find ourselves in trouble, our parents can be made aware of their need to call us.

We were also taught in our family that we have two homes to call home to often. As we pray and keep the lines of communication open even when nothing seems to be happening, then when we find ourselves in trouble He too will know where to find us and help us in our time of need.

So as I complete what has been a difficult week emotionally for me, in the large scheme of things, it really wasn't terrible. No deaths, no illness, nothing of that magnitude. And yet I find myself grateful for my Fathers, here on earth, and up above. Both whom when I needed them and could not bring myself to call, knew to call me and help me in ways that no one else ever could.

2 comments:

Jess said...

He knew where we were because he went to leave the mall, and was directed not to, so he was following us, too. Actually, he was following the guy that was following us. The guy could have caught up with us, easily. He was waiting until no one was around, which never happened, because Dad was always one step behind him.

It wasn't the only time, either. It was just one of the times we were aware of it.

As you know, sometimes parents don't even know they are being directed to do something and do it. Like, call you up just when you needed to hear from them.

MJ said...

I still have the "For the Lord hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. Be ye therefore not afraid of the testimony of our Lord." And the accompanying quote from President Hinckley.

Funny how we used to always roll our eyes when he would do that.