Friday, November 14, 2008

Nathan's Asthma Attack

A breakthrough with Nathan's health occurred yesterday. Nathan had an asthma attack. Now that might not sound like breaking news to you. And I doubt it sounds like good news but I resigned myself to asthma being a part of his life a long time ago. And there really is good news in what happened.

During the night he woke up multiple times dealing with it, and then the next morning he decided to go to school. I talked to him on the phone when he was at school and he decided he should probably come home. So I had Jeff pick him up from school and he came home and used his inhaler. I was watching him and concerned at what point I should start different meds. As I heard him coughing downstairs, I wasn't sure how bad I should let it get. He wasn't wheezing yet, and he was not having what I think is referred to as chest retractions. That is when his belly sticks out and his ribs go in as he struggles to breathe. Just then he came upstairs and told me he needed his inhaler, and that his chest was really tight. He asked to see our favorite doctor and talk to him about it.

It was at that moment that I knew we had hit a major turning point. I no longer have to watch his every breath wondering when do I take him in, and when do we stay home. He is now old enough to not only give his own input but to be aware of his body. Obviously I brought him in, he had a treatment there, and we are continuing to need medicine. His oxygen level was between 94-95% which means we got there before it was bad. Most importantly, I was much more relaxed sending him to school today, knowing that he is now capable and responsible enough to help me help him when he is struggling.

No comments: